Do you know what your values are?
Your values are at the essence of who you are. They are freely chosen and are not "rules" or "obligation." Values don't have endings and you may begin acting on them immediately, even in the smallest ways.
Values have become a favorite topic for me in coaching conversations, because unlike goals that you check off a list, values give you a direction to move in.
There are many ways to clarify your values. The following is a list of powerful questions that help to zero in on your core values.
What do you want to stand for…
- What do you want to stand for in life?
- What do you want to stand for in the face of this challenge?
- What do you want to stand for in this relationship?
- What do you want to stand for in the work place?
- What do you want to stand for as a mother/father/friend, etc?
How do you want to treat…
- How do you want to treat yourself and others and the world around you?
- How do you want to treat your children or those in your care?
- How do you want to treat your body (if you could treat your body the way you really want to deep in your heart, how would you treat it)?
- A few years from now, if you were to look back at this challenge (problem, thing in your life you are dealing with) what would you like to say you stood for in the face of this challenge?
- What would you like to say about the qualities you modeled?
- What would you like to say about the way the you handled it?
- What are the things you said and did in response to this challenging situation or difficulty?
- Take some time to journal and reflect on your answers. See if there are four or five qualities that shake out for you. Write these down somewhere that you will see them.
As you move through your day, consciously think of your values and how they are present in your life. If you’re not satisfied, how can you change your behavior to live that value to the hilt?
Values are like glue: they tie together the tiniest action to the biggest long term goals. Values give inspiration, motivation (especially when life gets challenging), and infuse your life with meaning and purpose.
Want to dive even deeper? Read this for sweet access to values.